Monday, October 7, 2013

Best albums of the 2000s - Rolling Stone vs The People 2: Top Albums

Last post I looked at the artists with the most entries in the top 100. This time I'll look at the top 10 albums, starting with Rolling Stone.

Rolling Stone - Top 10 Albums of the 2000s


1 . Radiohead  Kid A
2.  The Strokes  Is This It
3.  Wilco  Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
4.  Jay-Z  The Blueprint
5.  The White Stripes  Elephant
6.  Arcade Fire  Funeral
7.  Eminem  The Marshall Mathers LP
8.  Bob Dylan  Modern Times
9.  M.I.A.  Kala
10.  Kanye West  The College Dropout

Not a bad list - a little bit of something for most people - except metal of any type. The Strokes don't really float my boat - but that must be just me because Is This It got rave reviews. There is not much that's actually objectionable here - but the best 10 albums of the decade? Let's see if the people capture the zeitgeist any better.

RYM - Top 10 Albums of the 2000s

1 . Radiohead  Kid A 
2 . Arcade Fire  Funeral 
3 . Godspeed You Black Emperor!  Lift Yr. Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven! 
4 . Radiohead  In Rainbows 
5 . Opeth  Blackwater Park 
6 . Madvillain  Madvillainy 
7 . Wilco  Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 
8 . Tool  Lateralus 
9 . Radiohead  Amnesiac 
10 . Sufjan Stevens  Illinois 
The people really love Radiohead! I don't have a problem with that - give genius its due, I say. GYBE, Opeth, Tool, Sufjan Stevens are all strong claims - IMHO more so than the albums included in the Rolling Stone list. I confess to not being across Madvillainy. I love it when this kind of analysis throws up things I've previously missed.

Overall, leaving Radiohead aside, the Rolling Stone list seems far more mainstream. The RYM list far edgier and with Opeth and Tool much heavier. If I had to choose one for a sojourn on a desert island I'd take the RYM list.

No comments:

Post a Comment